G2 Discovery uses the blanket term 'Documents' to refer to all the system objects that users can create and configure, including Segments, Charts, Grids, Layouts, Query Forms, and Campaigns. This standardization allows all documents to be saved in the same location, and in the same way.
This shared location can be accessed via the Document Explorer, which can be accessed by clicking the [Documents] button from the toolbar. From here you can perform a number of actions including searching for documents, uploading and downloading files, creating new folders in which to store documents, and organizing the existing storage structure.
Document file structure tips:
- This structure needs to make sense to the users adding documents, and to users needing to access documents
- Typical organization would segregate “like” items – segments, engineered fields, reports, file output layouts, etc…
- Segregate documents that contain scheduled engineered fields. These should be placed in one folder called “Scheduled Fields”. For documents that contain schedules that currently run, use “active” in the fieldname
For documents that are archived in this folder and do not currently run, use “inactive” in the filename.
- Your structure will include preliminary and test documents as you experiment with your data and the tool. It is recommended that an occasional cleanup of the document explorer take place on an ongoing basis to avoid confusion and wasted space.
- Include descriptions when saving documents. This will help provide information about the document to others who may use it.
- Click on the expand icon
- To reveal the document description and other information
The document explorer allows you to:
- Upload and download documents.
- Move documents
- Create and organize folders